As an HR manager, department head or CEO, you help determine what a good cultural fit looks like for your workplace. And because your culture reflects your company's mission and values, it pays to hire employees who share those values.
To help you assess a candidate's cultural fit, we've pulled together the best questions to ask during an interview. Here is a list of 25 questions you can use to uncover the behaviors, values and ethics of interviewees—ultimately to determine cultural fit.
Best cultural fit interview questions
The following questions can be used for any candidate, regardless of the position they are being interviewed for.
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are you passionate about?
- What do you do for fun?
- What surprises people about you?
- Who inspires you? Why?
- How do you evaluate success?
- How do you handle stress and pressure?
- What are you looking for in your next job?
- What did you like most/least about your last company?
- Describe the work environment or culture in which you are most productive and happy.
- What gets you excited about coming to work?
- What does your ideal work day look like?
- How would you describe your work style?
- Do you prefer working alone or as part of a team? Why?
- What would make you quit a job in the first month?
- What does work-life balance mean to you?
- How do you feel about taking work home with you?
- Your manager assigns you a big task right before the end of the day. How would you reply?
- Have you ever found a company policy unfair or inefficient? What did you do?
- Do you have a best friend at work? How do you feel about becoming friends with your co-workers?
- What do you expect from your boss/leadership team?
- How do you prefer to receive feedback?
- What has been the most valuable lesson of your professional career?
- Why do you want to work here?
- Why should we hire you?
Improve Your Company Culture
The questions shown above will help you uncover the values and ethics of candidates in order to assess cultural fit and enhance your team. Resist the temptation to hire someone too quickly, without truly asking yourself if the candidate will increase employee morale and enhance productivity in your workplace. For more hands-on assistance, reach out to me today to start improving your company culture!